Team USA Selects National Track and Field Members
U.S. Paralympics have named 33 athletes to the 2013 U.S. Paralympics Track and Field National Team. The team includes four gold medalists from the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
"Last year, we had a large number of young athletes in their first Paralympic Games and a large number of finalists," said Cathy Sellers, high performance director for U.S. Paralympics track and field. "We hope to be able to convert those finalists to medalists this summer at the world championships."
Athletes were nominated to the National Team on Jan. 1 and will retain their National Team status through Dec. 31 if they compete at the 2013 U.S. Paralympics Track and Field National Championships in June. Additional athletes may also be added to the roster throughout the year.
The gold medal members include Jeremy Campbell, Raymond Martin, Tatyana McFadden and Shirley Reilly.
"We should have some exciting races in the men's 100 and 200 meters for the 43 and 44 classes as the classes will be split for the first time in Paralympic history," Sellers said. "We look to be very competitive with Blake Leeper in the 43 and Richard Browne, Jerome Singleton and a healthy David Prince in the 44 class."
The 2013 track and field season kicks off April 13 in Pomona, Calif. with the Pomona-Pitzer Invitational. The International Paralympic Committee Athletics World Championships are slated for July 16-29 in Lyon, France.
Other events include the Mt. SAC Relays, April 18-20 in Walnut, Calif., Kansas Relays, April 17-20 in Lawrence, Kan., Fast Cow competition on May 2 in Indianapolis, Ind., the Desert Challenge Games, May 17-19 in Mesa, Ariz., and the Swiss Series May 25-June 2 in Pratteln, Nottwil and Oensingin, Switzerland.
Here's the lineup:
- Jordan Bird, Wichita, Ks., T54
- Jim Bob Bizzell, Odessa, Texas, T44
- David Brown, St. Louis, Mo., T11/F11
- Rolland Slade, San Diego, Calif., Guide
- Richard Browne, Jackson, Miss., T44
- Jeremy Campbell, Perryton, Texas, F44
- Zena Cole, Oregon, Ohio, F51
- Jessica Galli, Hillsborough, N.J., T53
- Joshua George, Fairfax, Va., T53
- Elexis Gillette, Raleigh, N.C., T11/F11
- Wes Williams, Visalia, Calif., Guide
- April Holmes, Kissimmee, Fla., T44
- Josiah Jamison, Vance, S.C., T12
- Jerome Avery, Lemoore, Calif., Guide
- Blake Leeper, Church Hill, Tenn., T43
- Angela Madsen, Long Beach, Calif., F56
- Raymond Martin, Jersey City, N.J., T52
- Tatyana McFadden, Clarksville, Md., T54
- Amanda McGrory, Kennett Square, Pa., T53
- Cassie Mitchell, Warner, Okla., T52/F52
- Kerri Morgan, St. Louis, Mo., T52
- Paul Nitz, Edina, Minn., T52
- Markeith Price, Baltimore, Md., T13/F13
- David Prince, Marietta, Ga., T44
- Austin Pruitt, Spokane, Wash., T34
- Shirley Reilly, Tucson, Ariz., T53
- Joshua Roberts, Morris, Ala., T52
- Scot Severn, Caro, Mich., F53
- Brian Siemann, Millstone, N.J., T53
- Jerome Singleton Jr., Irmo, S.C., T44
- Jeffrey Skiba, Sammamish, Wash., F44
- Shaquille Vance, Houston, Miss., T42/F42
- Jarryd Wallace, Athens, Ga., T44