Team USA Names World Cup Nordic Skiing Team
U.S. Paralympics selected 16 athletes to compete at the International Paralympic Committee Nordic Skiing World Cup taking place this week in Cable, Wis. The athletes, selected after the U.S. Adaptive Nordic National Championships in Soldiers Hollow, Utah, include five members of the 2012-2013 U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing National Team and three from the development team.
“Team USA will be represented in Cable by some familiar faces like Dan Cnossen and Andy Soule,” said John Farra, high performance director for U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing. “But we also have some incredible new talent, especially on the women’s side, which makes it an exciting time for Nordic skiing in the United States. The Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games may be more than 400 days away but our athletes are already on the road to high caliber performances in Russia.”
The competition started with the cross country short (5/10-km freestyle) on Sunday. In the women's 2.5 km sit-ski, USA team members Oksana Masters, Beth Requist and Alicia Brelsford Dana placed seventh, eighth and ninth, respectively. In the men's 2.5-km standing bout (B1-3), Team USA's Kevin Burton placed third. Also in the same race for categories LW2-9, USA's John Oman placed tenth, and Omar Bermejo placed twelfth. Several men placed in the men's 2.5-km sit-ski, including Sean Halsted (sixth), Andy Soule (seventh) and Jeremy Wagner (ninth).
The cross country long (20/15/10-km classic) took place yesterday. The sprint (freestyle) takes place today. On Jan. 17, biathletes will compete with the biathlon long (12.5/15 km) event. The biathlon short (6/7.5 km) and biathlon middle (10/12.5 km) competitions are scheduled for Jan. 19 and 20, respectively. Find results here.
The world cup circuit finishes March 14-21with a test event in Sochi, Russia, at the site of the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games. The world championships are set for Feb. 23 through March 5 in Solleftea, Sweden.
Here's the team lineup:
- Omar Bermejo (Grand Rapids, Mich.), ret., Marines
- Kevin Burton (Boulder, Colo.), ret., Navy
- Dan Cnossen (Jamestown, Mich.), Navy*
- Travis Dodson (Deming, N.M.), ret, Marines
- Eric Frazier (Maple Hill, N.C.), ret., Marines*
- Sean Halsted (Spokane, Wash./Twin Lakes, Idaho), ret., Air Force*
- Augusto Perez (East Syracuse, N.Y.)^
- John Oman (Hudson, Wis.)
- Aaron Pike (Park Rapids, Minn.)
- Andy Soule (Pearland, Texas), ret., Army*
- Jeremy Wagner (Honolulu, Hawaii), ret., Army Reserves*
- Alicia Brelsford Dana (Putney, Vt.)^
- Oksana Masters (Louisville, Ky.)
- Tatyana McFadden (Clarksville, Md.)
- Beth Requist (Grand Lake, Colo.)
- Kristy Vaughn (Corry, Pa.)^
* indicates U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing National Team member. ^ indicates U.S. Paralympics Nordic Skiing Development National Team member.