2012 Paralympic Games
U.S. Equestrian, Soccer Teams Finalized for 2012 Paralympics
Team USA has finalized its Equestrian and Soccer teams for the 2012 Paralympic Games.
Four athletes will represent the United States for equestrian:
- Rebecca Hart of Unionville, Pa., riding Jessica Ransehousen's Lord Ludger
- Jonathan Wentz of Richardson, Texas, riding Kai Handt's NTEC Richter Scale
- Donna Ponessa of New Windsor, N.Y., riding Wesley Dunham's Western Rose
- Dale Dedrick of Ann Arbor, Mich., riding her own Bonifatius
London will mark Hart’s second trip to the Paralympics. She has earned 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 national titles.
Her teammates are no strangers to winning. Wentz placed first at the 2011 National Championship and collected Reserve honors in 2012. Ponessa, who has a rare form of multiple sclerosis called Devic’s disease, placed third with honors at the National Championship and Selection Trial. Dedrick is the 2011 Reserve National Champion and placed fourth in the 2012 National Championship.
Head Coach Jay Hoffman also released the final 12-player roster for the U.S. Paralympic Soccer National Team:
- Goalkeepers: Keith Johnson (Houston, Texas) and Alex Hendricks (Columbus, Ohio)
- Defenders: Chris Ahrens (Baldwinsville, N.Y.), Bryce Boarman (Colorado Springs, Colo.), Chad Jones (Virginia Beach, Va.) and Gavin Sibayan (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Midfielders: Adam Ballou (Virginia Beach, Va.), Tyler Bennett (Wadsworth, Ohio), Josh McKinney (Cary, N.C.), Marthell Vazquez (Long Beach, Calif.) and Jerreme Wade (Chesapeake, Va.)
- Forwards: Rene Renteria (San Fernando, Calif.)
The team will compete in Group B, playing Ukraine at 8 a.m. ET Sept. 1, Brazil at 4 a.m. ET Sept. 3 and Great Britain at 11:15 a.m. ET Sept. 5.
Listed as alternates are forward Dylan Brown (Clovis, Calif.), midfielder Nick Creasey (Richmond, Va.), forward Charlie Howard (Washington, D.C.) and midfielder Moises Morales (San Diego, Calif.).