Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Releases ‘The Breathing Basics’ Booklet in Spanish
Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (FSMA) has released “The Breathing Basics Respiratory Care for Children with Spinal Muscular Atrophy” booklet in a Spanish version. The booklet is part of an FSMA initiative to translate all of its series booklets into Spanish.
The booklet highlights breathing problems, which are a leading cause of illness for children with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). The booklet is authored by Dr. Mary Schroth, a member and chair of the FSMA Medical Advisory Council.
Important topics in the booklet include
- Why is respiratory care so important in SMA
- What are common respiratory problems in children with SMA
- Elements of respiratory care management
- What are special issues for children with SMA types I, II and III
- What respiratory equipment will you need at home
Download the booklet here.
In addition, the following SMA Care Series Booklets are currently available in both English and Spanish:
- “Caring Choices for Families of Infants Newly Diagnosed With SMA Type I”
- “The Family Guide to Research”
- “Nutrition Basics”
- “Family Support and Patient Services”
- “The Genetics of Spinal Muscular Atrophy”
Click here to download other SMA booklets.